Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

GUI is black or blank.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: GUI is black or blank. Reply with quote Back to top

I have a kip 3000 that the GUI wont come up, I hit the reset button on the IPS- fans come on, power led lights up but after 4 sec it shuts off and now wont power back up. this kip has the black ips, is the ips bad? is there another way to test the ips to make sure and is this the reason why the GUI wont come on (reseated all connections)? Took top cover off GUI getting 1 green light and 1 amber light. thanks for any help.

joe

CHILLIN
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Try checking the power supply

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What won't power up, the UI or the IPS.
It's so nice to be insane
No one asks you to explain

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Take a regular computer/scanner/monitor power cable and connect it to the power supply directly to a wall outlet, leave all other cables in. Turn the printer on, then power up the IPS. If it does what you described: turning on for a few seconds then shutting off or not powering up at all, it will most likely be the Power supply OR take out the IPS out of the printer and connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor and it should boot up like any other PC. Then if you have another printer with the same black IPS, you can swap the power supply to confirm it.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the GUI. If you really want to test the GUI, you can unplug the VGA cable at the IPS or under the GUI and connect it to a desktop or laptop. Without going into detail, you should see something on the screen of the GUI. IF it were only the GUI and not IPS, you should still be able to send prints to the printer.

joe
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The IPS wont power up.GUI STATES NO SIGNAL,ANALOG SIGNAL OUT GOING TO SLEEP.Tried to reset the IPS powers up for 4 sec then goes desd now wont power up at all.

joe
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dlee thanks for you help so you want me to plug the power supply directly to the wall correct with all other conections as they are? just to ask a question but what would this do since the kip is already plugged into the wall outlet,just trying to get an understanding here not to affend you ok?
joe

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No problem. By doing this, it would let you know if the printer is sending power to the IPS. When you turn the printer on, it also powers up the IPS. You just want to eliminate the possibility that it could be a bad board/wire or anything between the printer and IPS. If you connect the IPS directly to the wall and it starts up with no issues, then it would be something on the printer side. If it still does not start up when connected to wall, then you know that it is not the printer. You see. Very Happy

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

<<If you connect the IPS directly to the wall and it starts up with no issues, then it would be something on the printer side>>

I would connect the IPS to an outlet because drywall is a poor conductor of electricity......But that's just me

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OH, yes Mark is correct. I learned that after the 10th time that we do have to plug it into an outlet mounted on the wall, especially after we kept getting billed by our customers for drywall repair. Hmmmm, no wonder I kept replacing power supplies... Just kidding now, don't want to scare Joe.

mark in vegas
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Even though Joe is in Ohio I'm sure he has figured out that most of what I say is tongue in cheek...... Shocked

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I think he already knew that drywall is a poor conductor for electricity.

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have had the exact same problem and it was the power supply in the IPS. I have also had a bad UPS board that wakes the IPS up go bad and not boot up unless you manually booted the controller, this doesn't sound like the problem you have. You can check the power supply voltages if you know which pins to jumper in the power molex. You can google it to find out, or have a computer company with a power supply checker give it a quick test. Mark and dlee are good sources of knowledge, but typically the want a free beer first before they tell you the truth!

joe
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dlee thanks for the troubleshooting class, it was a bad power supply. replaced power supply and customer up and running!
Thanks again!
joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 3000 and 3100 All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: