Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

"Add Toner" issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 2000 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: "Add Toner" issue Reply with quote Back to top

I just re-activated a KIP2000 that had been sitting at a customer's location for the last 5 years. It only has 2K SF on it, 2258 to be exact. I had to clean the dust off it and replace the toner that's been sitting in it. Initial power up, it ran great, great prints and all. A week later, the printer is asking for toner, with only approx. 50 SF ran through it. Yes, the dev. unit has toner and Yes, the toner hopper is full. So I take the toner sensors out and clean them and "Add Toner" goes away. Customer was running prints through it and it's flashing "Add Toner" again after only approx. 5 sheets.

My question: It has the two sensors. I remember years ago, we were suppose to unplug or block one sensor and use only the other. I think it was to block the right one and use the left one (if you are standing behind the dev. unit). I am going to replace the sensors but should I just replace both or can someone refresh my memory which one to block?

cjwilt
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The left sensor should be the only one used. Maybe you can swap them around and see if the problem goes away.

I would also check that the toner down in the augers isn't compact. When that stuff sits for a long time, it gets packed in there. I know you said you replaced the toner but did you vacum it too? Just curious.

You can also replace the toner sensor wiper part#6601700900 When these wear out they don't clean the senor off. Just another thought.

Good Luck

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks. Because they are a new customer, I'm just going to replace the left sensor with a new one and get one of those black "dummy" sensors for the right side instead of swapping. FYI: I did vacuum all the toner out of it including around the augers... Wink It has fresh toner in it.

Cabok
intern

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, if the "Add Toner" is flashing, it's not asking for toner, it's leveling the toner. I remember some of the 2000's cycling like this for more than 20 minutes before doing anything else...

You can just unplug the right toner sensor, there's no need to replace it by a dummy. In fact, it's always useful to have a spare nearby.

dlee
doctor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Went there last week and the customer said he shut it off and turned it back on and ran some prints then it stopped and "Add toner" in Unattend with toner light on the machine. I replaced the left sensor and unplugged the right one. After reboot, they were able to print for a while I was there. When I left, it was still printing. Hope all is well...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 2000 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: