Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

UPGRADING FROM KIP3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> Printer's Point of View
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLUEDREW
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: UPGRADING FROM KIP3000 Reply with quote Back to top

We currently have a kip 3000, which is toast. So we are looking to upgrade. We are a print shop and avg about 15k to 20k sf / month. We also have a color hp design jet 800. Any suggestions?

bigal
doctor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: UPGRADE Reply with quote Back to top

Based on your volume if you can get a used KIP 5000 @8d/min w/ 600 scanner it should work fine. But KIP has replaced the 5000 with the NEW 7700 at 9d/min. If you want a "new" machine that would be fine based on your volume. In either case buy the scan to color option and you can scan to file and copy direct to the HP 800.

BLUEDREW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am interested in used if the kip is complete referb. and right price. We have a kip 3000 loner and it is a total POS. Our kip 3000 required maint. ever 2 months.

What is the avg $$ for an 8000 w/ scanner?

bigal
doctor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: upgrading Reply with quote Back to top

The 8000 requires a minimum volume of 30k feet per month to operate properly. Kip does not sell the 8000 but see the Doc post on this site for quality rebuilt equipment. A better choice for your volume would be a 7000 at 13 d per min.

REPRODOGGIE
intern

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KIP 7000, don't buy one with under 500k sf. These units are either great or terrible, depending on when made. Low meter ones tend to be lemons traded out early.

If you don't mind lots of PM, then try a low miles KIP 5000.

For my money, a new 7900 is the way to go. Print quality, reliability, and the 2300 scanner are hard to beat. Buy it right, buy it once, and get on with life.

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you only had a tech out every other month with a KIP 3000 and that volume you may want to look into a used 3100.
It's a little more robust than the 3000 but it's not designed to handel the volume that the 5000 and the 7700 do.
The 8000 is way too much machine for your volume, plus you drop down in DPI from 600 to 400.

phan6622
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PM Sent...
I agree with a lot of what has been said. The kip 5000 is likely an excellent choice here.. More robust than the 3000 chassis and affordable compared to the new 7000's or refurbed 8000's available.

BLUEDREW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A little background. We started out as a design company 5 years ago and started w/ an analog kip then upgraded to the 3000 3 years ago. Which worked great till our local wide format repro shop closed the local branch here in town last year. So we We moved our kip into the space next door and opened a print shop. Our clients have increased over the past year and we are increasing business.
My concern is I don't want to purchase a machine that monthly volume will be maxed out in a year.

I like the 7900. I see the MSRP is around $24,000. In this economy does it really make since to purchase new w/ all the repo's?

We are looking to do a cash deal.

phan6622
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

print for pay is a simple $ out versus $ in equation. In my opinion, a young 2 or 3 year old machine at half the price of new would be what I was looking at.. Full disclosure: I did send a quote on a 5000 with 2100 scanner to bluedrew.

I think some market info would be helpful here. What are your expectations? Can you get to 100k per month in the next year? If so I think the 8000 is the kip you want.. It will help turn jobs around muck faster as well. You can get a nice 8000 with scanner for 25k. If you were going to go this route though, I mite recommend getting 2 5000's.. This gives you constant uptime and interchangable parts. Plus it would be easier to upgrade to 1 or 2 8000's if business explodes.

BLUEDREW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Phan6622. Thank you for your pm and haven't had a chance to contact you yet. We wanted to get our insurance check in hand before we made any contacts. The check arrive yesterday.

Volume wise in our area the next year I expect to stay at around 15-20k SF per month. Optimistically maybe up to 25k per month.

The 5000 is looking more like a good solution.

I appreciate all your inputs and any additional advise is greatly welcome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> Printer's Point of View All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: