Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

2100 error 216, PLEASE HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 2100 Scanner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcrawford
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: 2100 error 216, PLEASE HELP! Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 2100 that when connected to my laptop using the "monitor" software it reads a 216 error. Well the manual isn't much help here; it gives a long list of things that could be wrong for errors 200-227. I have tried cleaning all the optics (they look fine BTW). I tried the calibration using the service mode and it eventually errors the 2 RED leads after about 30 minutes. And when I try to calibrate using the software it takes the sheet as to grab it but never does anything and the software is giving a message to load calibration sheet; I DID! The sheet is 37" (940mm) and the length is right but that doesn't even matter since it only grabs the sheet but never feeds it through.

If it makes any difference if the scanner is in service mode it copies fine and communicates w/ the printer too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As to the "K98 white balance adjust", there is a "R2" version that works. The version that came with the one 2100 I service does exactly what you describe, the scanner grabs the sheet but the software continues to ask for one. You can download it from the Kip dealer area, in the 2100 firmware section.

I recently had this one 2100 come up with a white line. After much head scratching and multiple calls to Kip (plus parts, very expensive parts) Ray from Kip suggested inserting a sheet of paper just long enough to cover the glass, and as wide as the platen, and running shading in the monitor software. Much to my surprise this fixed the issue. The platen looked perfect. I now always use this trick when running shading on this 2100 or my other 2200's.
I know this is not your exact issue, but it might be worth a try. I use 46# pres bond or matte photo paper.

Scott

Last edited by scott on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

tcrawford
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Close enough, this is a big help! Thanks I will be going back there in the AM. I bet dollars to donuts that it's just a calibration issue. Rolling Eyes

PPCPete
resident

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Regarding the KIP 2100 scanner "216" error. I followed up after Terry and re-cleaned the optics area including the "lazer pointers"., and it still errors out in the white calibration test.................We also tried a new AFE board and a new CPU board like the manual says.............well that didn't work either! DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY REAL LIFE EXPIERENCE WITH THIS UNIT AND MAY HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE???

Any suggestions would be greatly apprecieated.

wadetech
intern

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I sure hope someone has an answer on this problem very soon. I have a 2100 doing the exact same thing....error 216 / 2 solid red lights every 30 minutes or so. I have tried the AFE board and that didn't work...now the manual says to replace the CPU board....looks like that not going to solve my issue either from what I just read. Was on the phone with K Mart yesterday and they had me checking Power supplies and fans. The fan did not sut off, but still errored out. Scanner was hooked to my laptop and errored out also. So it has nothing to do with the 7000 that it is hooked up to.
HELP HELP HELP

wadetech

Toner Monkey
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kip will often let you RMA the boards if they turn out to not fix the issue.
This error can be anywhere from the white reference plate to the CPU board. Assuming the optics are clean, the white reference plate and glass are the first suspects. Remove the glass and put a white sheet of paper in place of the white reference plate as described by Scott. If you can run a full shading without any errors, you know it is one or the other. Otherwise it is the "replace the parts one at a time till you get the right one" game. Just hope it is not the CCD unit.

PPCPete
resident

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Word to the wise.......................its most likely the CPU board. However be advised that there is a "specific procedure" when installing a brand new CPU board. Check the manual carefully!

wadetech
intern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well I can tell you this...the platen has to be completly white, if there are any marks on it at all, you will get the 2 red lights of death. You can not do a shading if there are any dark areas on the platen...it will error out. I ended up replacing the platen and did a shading and have not had the death error in a week. I was getting the error every 15 minutes before.
I hope this helps someone else, because it haunted me for a few weeks.

Wadetech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 2100 Scanner All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: